In recent years more and more people have turned to be “internet-made Super Rich“. Comparing with investing in physical real estate, it is much safer and easier to build your dream lifestyle through online business, because it requires very minimal cost and much less risk to start with.
How to create a website that can make profit for you in the long run? This article will introduce basic steps with some practical tips.
How to create a website – basic steps
1. Don’t buy your domain yet.
- What are you passionate about?
- What are you good at?
- What unique knowledge do you have that people can benefit from?
To find a suitable niche is the important first step for creating a profitable website down the road.
As a beginner, it might take sometime to understand the importance of long tail keywords, and its SEO benefits for your future websites. However, make sure you have some keywords in mind when you choose your domain name.
Take my blog as an example, the keywords are online business, make money online, etc, and its main purpose is to introduce practical ideas and methods of making money from internet. You can narrow down your targetted niche to a much smaller one, such as a toy website for age 3 to 5 year old boys only.
List many keywords that relate to this small niche, and play around with these keywords to see if you can come up with a short domain name that include one of your keywords and still available for purchase.
2. Register a good domain.
A domain name is your website address. It is also your online business brand in the making. A domain name with a main keyword in it will help for better Google ranking. So carefully choose a domain name that is
- easy to remember
- not all numbers
- better has a major keyword in it that can describe your website
- “dot com” is better than “.net”
Then, go toGodaddy, click “Find your domain”, you can start your domain search right there.
3. Use the all-in-one package instead
Using this method, you can skip domain registration.
This is a good choice if you
- are interested in selling stuff online, and
- want to see the results in the shortest time possible.
You can choose the all-in-one eBusiness package that SBI provides including all comprehensive guidance, tutorials videos and all software needed to get your online ecommerce start in as short as a few days.
As an SBI member, you can expect to have all the helps ready to lead you through all the bolts and nuts of conducting ecommerce properly and make profit faster from your website. In exchange, you need to pay a membership fee which is less than $1 a day. What you save with this option is your time, efforts and many mistakes that are unavoidable if you build your website from scratch.
4. Choosing a cheap and reliable hosting company
However, if you have time to learn how to create a website from the very beginning, and enjoy doing so, you should choose a cheap and reliable hosting company to host your website, and start to build your website with or without professional helps.
A web hosting company provides data space for your website so that you can write blog posts, create forums, install shopping carts, add photo galleries to enrich your website content.
I don’t talk about creating a free website here, because a free website is not your own “online real estate”, it belongs to the website that hosts your site.
There are many web hosting companies you can choose from to host your website. You do need to pay for hosting services annually, but the fees are minimal. For example, if you choose hostgator to host your website, your cost is $142 for 3 years with its 20% off discount offer.
- If you are from UK, you probably heard of 123.reg, the number one web hosting company in UK.
- This blog is hosted by Bluehost, I would recommend anyone to host your website with bluehost. It is one of the leaders in this industry, offering affordable hosting packages with professional customer and technical supports. If you are new in web design and need any helps, always feel free to give them a call or write them a ticket, you can expect prompt answers from them.
- Another equally great company is Hostgator. I’ve heard a lot of good comments about this web host. Their prices are dirt-cheap, their services are reliable and sound. They offer many levels of service, which makes it easier to upgrade when the time comes. It has a 45 day “money back guarantee” policy.
- JustHost is among first class web hosting providers. It has an “anytime money back guarantee” plan to make sure you can try out their services at ease.
- If you plan to start an ecommerce,Bigcommerce’s 15 days free trial is a good offer to start. Bigcommerce offers the best software in the ecommerce industry. Its feature-rich software makes your website’s customization easy and smooth. You can have any tools you need for building a fully functional and user-friendly ecommerce, selling products online, taking orders, tracking inventory and processing shipping.
“How to Create a Website from Amazon”
[AMAZONPRODUCTS asin=”B00ES057Y2,B008D4W8F0,B00FZQX90C” listprice=”1″]
How to create a website – build up valuable content
Get the bone structure of your site ready
The technical part of creating a website is a bit overwhelming at the beginning. If you choose to use WordPress to power your website, you first need to install a good theme, tweak around to get familiar with all the features and improve the layout of your website, install more plugins to get extra features, learn basic HTML/CSS coding to enhance the website’s usability and make it visually appealing…
However, if you can’t afford so much time to do everything by yourself, or maybe you prefer to avoid all the frustation of self-learning, you can always consider hiring professional web designers, or finding goodvirtual assistants from crowdsourcing sites. Using virtual assistant is a cheaper option.
Add meat onto the bones
Now, Let’s talk about the more difficult part of creating a profitable website – how to create valuable content?
Think about who your readers or customers are. Are they stay-at-home parents, part-time job seekers, college students, vegan eaters, kids looking for fun stuff…. ?
Understand what they want from your website. Are they looking for business advice, job opportunities, money-making methods, places to buy cheap textbooks, healthy menus, free games…?
Bear these knowledge of your audience in mind, you now can start to write blog posts that answer their questions, create forums for discussions and exchanges, build up membership site to teach newbies, sell your software to targeted customers, make social media sites to connect like-minded groups.
Content is king. Only great content and useful information will make people come back to your website, like it on social networks, stay engaged on your site. These are great signals for search engines to catch and rank your website higher on SERP (search engine results page).
We all know the goal for creating a website is to make profits. But no website can make any profit without good traffic. One key factor for generating quality traffic for your website is to constantly produce useful content.
- Your readers/customers love useful content and will not miss any of your new posts by subscribing to your email lists or RSS. You can make money with your email list and RSS subscribers.
- Keep your website updated. Google and other search engines rank updated websites higher than obsolete ones. Higher ranking will translate into more valuable organic traffic that any website owners love.
It is the right time to jump onto the wagon and start to create your own website and make profit out of it.
**Disclosure of Material Connection:
Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally or believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials.”